Each parish in the Diocese ideally has two elected churchwardens.
The role of churchwarden is an ancient office and one that is constantly changing but today generally involves being a key person in the life of the parish. They have important legal duties in the life of the church but also spiritual, pastoral and mission responsibilities.
The Archdeacons run training events each year aimed at new churchwardens where they look at the many different roles of a warden and share clear advice and where to find useful resources, advice and help in the many facets that the role demands. Topics covered may include the role of the Diocesan Advisory Committee (DAC), finance and church insurance with experts from each field coming to speak. Any churchwarden is invited to these events whether newly in office, or if in need of an update on what the role entails.
Archdeacons' Visitations News
Useful external links
- Ely Diocesan Registry website
- The Role of a Churchwarden Church of England Churchcare
- Church of England's website
- Church House Bookshop
- www.kevinmayhew.com for general resources
- www.spck.org.uk for general resources
- www.parishresources.org.uk supporting stewardship
- Diocese of Ely website