Women in the Episcopate
The Revd Canon Alan Hargarve, the Revd Canon Vanessa Herrick and Miss Jane Logan were asked by Bishop’s Council to meet and propose a process for bringing this matter to the attention of Bishop’s Council, the Diocesan Synod and the wider Diocese before the vote at the Diocesan Synod on 22nd October 2011.
It is recognised that the General Synod has agreed that women should be ordained to the Episcopate and the process is to ask parishes and deaneries, and the Diocesan Synod, to consider the legislation with this in mind. This is therefore about not whether women should be ordained to the episcopate but whether the legislation proposed is the right way forward to achieve this.
There was a presentation and an opportunity for reflection and questions at the Diocesan Synod meeting on 11th June 2011. The presentations made at that meeting can be viewed via links at the bottom of this page.
There are further meetings (dates and venues below) around the Diocese when a presentation about the legislation and the issues around the legislation will be made with time for discussion and debate.
Finally, there will be an opportunity for speeches and further debate at the Diocesan Synod meeting on 22nd October at the Hayward Theatre when a vote will be taken about the legislation –the motion is that this synod approve the proposals embodied in the draft Bishops and Priests (Consecration and Ordination of Women) Measure and in the draft Amending Canon No 30.
This is an important issue for the Church and all are encouraged to take part.
Everyone is invited to come to the Diocesan Synod on 11th June and/or an open meeting. Please bring this to the attention anyone who would be interested.
You will need to make an informed decision so...
- Look at Church of England website and read the legislation yourself http://www.churchofengland.org/our-views/women-bishops.aspx
- Consider the arguments from all sides:
- ‘Watch’ www.womenandthechurch.org
- ‘Reform’ www.reform.org.uk
- ‘Forward in Faith’ www.forwardinfaith.com
- Talk with your PCC and Deanery Synod about the issues & encourage them to attend the 'Roadshows':
13th June St Mary's Ely, 7.30pm 16th June Bar Hill Church, 7.30pm
- 7th July Wisbech St Peter & St Paul, 7.30pm
Assistant Diocesan Secretary
Download presentations made at the Diocesan Synod on June 11th:
- by The Revd Canon Vanessa Herrick
- by The Revd David Evans
- by The Revd Simon Scott
- Powerpoint presented by The Revd Canon Alan Hargrave and Miss Jane Logan